Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review your textbook readings covered thus far and the Occupational Outlook Handbook: Healthcare Occupations (Links to an external site.).
This assignment is the first part of a comprehensive presentation you will develop on the U. S. health care system. For this assignment, you will provide an overview of the U.S. health care system. Follow the instructions below to complete the assignment.
Begin your presentation by including a title slide (see specifics below). In the speaker’s notes of this slide, include your introductory information, which will include your degree plan and any health care experience you have had or share your qualifications related to the information you are presenting. If you have no health care experience, you can be creative with professional experience.
Next, create an overview slide that describes the required components to be covered within the presentation. Add bulleted points for each of the topics being covered. Briefly describe each bulleted point in the speaker’s notes.
The remaining slides will address the content of the presentation and the references. The content will address the following required components:
- Choose one revolutionary factor from each of the centuries (17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st) found in your textbook and time line.
- Describe each revolutionary factor.
- Discuss how the revolutionary factors changed the health care system.
- Refer to the time line simulation Global Perspectives: Shifts in Science and Medicine That Changed Healthcare (Links to an external site.) reviewed in Week 1. Chapter 2 in your textbook discusses the evolution of our health care system and is a good resource for this part of the presentation as well.
- Identify at least one major development from each of the following perspectives: financial, legal, ethical, regulatory, and social (e.g., consumer demand).
- Discuss how each development transformed the system into what it is For more perspective, you may want to review the time line simulation Global Perspectives: Shifts in Science and Medicine That Changed Healthcare (Links to an external site.).
- Choose three different stakeholders that have affected the health care system (e.g., health care professionals [physicians, nurses, etc.], clients [patients], health insurance plans [Blue Cross Blue Shield, managed care organizations (MCOs), etc.], federal or state governments, health care professional organizations [American Medical Association (AMA), American Nurses Association (ANA), etc.] and health care accreditation agencies [Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), The Joint Commission, National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), etc.]).
- Evaluate each stakeholder’s effect on the health care system by discussing their purpose and impact.
- Include examples of both positive and negative impacts made by your chosen stakeholders (e.g., a negative contribution is when a patient uses the emergency room for nonurgent care).
Consider using the PowerPoint Instructions Handout to locate linked resources for properly making a PowerPoint presentation. Also consider these help tools: PowerPoint Best Practices, Don McMillan: Life After Death by PowerPoint (Links to an external site.). Wikimedia Commons (Links to an external site.) can also help you explore creative commons images. You may also want to review What Is CRAAP? A Guide to Evaluating Web Sources (Links to an external site.).
Submit your assignment via the classroom to the Waypoint Assignment submission button by Day 6 (Sunday) no later than 11:59 p.m.
APA Requirement Details:
The U.S. Health Care Presentation: Part 1 Assignment
- Must be seven to nine slides in length (not including title and references slides) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least two scholarly or credible sources (a least one should be from the Ashford University Library).
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate reference slide that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.