12 Step Attendance Paper
12-Step Attendance (Paper can be written up as one paper but must answer questions for each visit. (50 points total, 25 points per paper).
For this assignment, each student (you may attend the groups with one other student or friend) will attend two 12-step meetings and following each meeting will write up a reflection of their experience. The purpose of this assignment is for students to gain experiential and didactic knowledge of what is involved in the 12-step recovery process. PLEASE LOOK INTO THE GROUPS YOUR WANT TO ATTEND IMMEDIATELY SO YOU CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
In your completion of this 12-Step project, please note that not all 12-step meetings are “open.” Unless you meet the necessary criteria for attendance at a “closed” 12-step group, only attend 12-step groups that are “open.” Some of the possible 12-step groups that you might be able to attend include the following (see the indicated website for more info on times and locations):
· Al-Anon: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/meeting.html
· Alcoholics Anonymous: http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/en_find_meeting.cfm?PageID=29
· Celebrate Recovery: http://www.celebraterecovery.com/?page_id=7
· Codependents Anonymous: http://www.codependents.org/ajax_control.php?action=load_translation&language=1
· Emotions Anonymous: http://allone.com/12/ea/
· Gamblers Anonymous: http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/mtgdirTOP.html
· Nar-Anon: http://nar-anon.org/Nar-Anon/Nar-Anon_Groups.html
· Narcotics Anonymous: http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/
· Overeaters Anonymous: http://www.oa.org/meetings/
· Sexaholics Anonymous: http://www.sa.org/top/United%20States%20of%20America/
· SMART Recovery: http://www.smartrecovery.org/meetings_db/view/
If possible, it is recommended that you attend one Christian-based 12-step meeting and one “secular” 12-step meeting. YOU MUST ATTEND TWO DIFFERENT MEETINGS. THERE ARE SOME ONLINE MEETINGS, if you decide to attend one of these meetings you can only “go” to one. The other one must be Face to Face.
Your reflection papers for the 12-Step attendance must be 1 to 2 double-spaced pages in length for each group. You must break your 12-Step reflection paper down into the following sections, and you must stay within the specified page limit for each section and for the paper overall:
· Introduction (maximum: 1 double-spaced page)
o Indicate the 12-step meetings that you attended, including such orienting information as the type of meeting, date, the location of the meeting, the number and demographics of the meeting attendees (without giving any identifiable personal information about the attendees), how long the meeting was, what it involved, et cetera.
· Description of your Experiences (maximum: 1.5 double-spaced pages)
o For each meeting, briefly describe your thoughts and feelings (a) before the meeting, (b) during the meeting, and (c) following the meeting.
· What I Learned (maximum: 1.5 double-spaced pages)
o For each meeting, include a brief description of what you learned about the 12-step recovery process.
· Summary (maximum: 1 double-spaced page)
o Briefly summarize what you are taking away from this experience and how it may or may not assist you in conducting addictions counseling with clients who are in the recovery process.