Cultural Diversity in Criminal Justice
The Uniform Crime Reports page on the FBI Web site provides links for its annual Crime in the United States publications. Before you are able to view one of these reports, you are given the following disclaimer:
Caution Against Ranking
Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.
Discuss the following:
· Why do you think this cautionary notice is given before users are directed to the FBI’s Crime in the United States publication? Expand on your viewpoint, and find credible sources to support your rationale.
Click here if you would like to visit the Web site.
Open the Hate Crime Data Collection Guidelines and Training Manual , scroll down to page 4, and review the Table of Contents. Specifically, look at hate crimes and the different classifications of bias. Using the Table of Contents, complete the following:
· Define and describe the following terms:
. Race bias
. Ethnicity bias
. Religious bias
. Bias motivation
. The nature of a hate crime
. Bias motivation by category and type
. Legislative mandate to report hate crime
· Point out the distinction between institutional prejudice and personal prejudice.
· Explain ways in which stereotypes can influence memory and perceptions of events.
· What are common stereotypes of the specific minority groups explained in the training guide? How may one differentiate those stereotypes from accurate descriptions of the minority groups?
· Identify the principal psychological motivations underlying prejudice.
Based on the information you obtained in Parts I and II, do you think there could be racial or ethnic discrimination in arrests? Does cultural diversity have an impact on law enforcement practice? Provide evidence to support your answer, accompanied by proper citations in APA format.
Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. (2015, February 27). Hate crime data collection guidelines and training manual, Version 2.0. Retrieved from https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime-data-collection-guidelines-and-training-manual.pdf
Federal Bureau of Investigation: Uniform Crime Reporting. (2018, September 24). CIUS summary: FBI releases 2017 crime statistics. Retrieved from https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/topic-pages/cius-summary
Examining Major Perspective and Theories in Historical Psychology Research
For this Assignment, you will watch all four of the historical research videos (listed below), and then select one video to identify basic perspectives and theories used in psychology. Once you have selected your study (video), complete the Unit 6 Assignment Template (located in Course Documents), which will guide you through writing a cohesive paper. This Assignment will provide you with a connection between the major psychology studies and perspectives.
Watch each of the following:
- The Bystander Effect
- The Milgram Experiment
- Learned Helplessness
- The Stanford Prison Experiment
Next, select one the videos, and write a 2-4 page paper (not including Title and Reference pages) addressing the following points:
- Identify the historical research study (video) you selected from the list above.
- Summarize the results of this study and what implications it has with regards to human behavior and mental processes that you have learned about in Units 5-6
- Discuss what is meant by social psychology and how it could apply to your research study referencing its theory and concepts.
- Theories are meant to help you explain and predict people’s behavior. Considering the personality theories you read about in Units 5 and 6, name one theory that helps explain what you see illustrated in the research and explain your reasons for choosing it (for example: psychodynamic, humanistic, social cognitive, behaviorism, or trait theory).
- Consider whether or not you think this historical research could explain the development of psychological disorders? Explain your reasoning using reference to the study and the disorder(s).
Writing Requirements and Assignment Guidelines
Your Assignment should be 2-4 pages, not including the Title and Reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: Answer the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- Reference Page: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double-spaced
- Use APA Formatting and Citation style
- If you need assistance with APA style, please visit the Writing Center.
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
This Assignment assesses the following Course Outcomes:
PS124-3: Discuss major perspectives and theories in psychology connecting them to important historical research.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
Creating a PowerPoint Presentation for Future Colleagues
For this week’s Assignment, you will create a PowerPoint® presentation that illustrates the connection between current psychology research and your role in your selected career field. You will present a psychology research article that relates to your career field and what can be learned from it.
1. Go to the Library and select a topic that connects psychology with your career field. Be sure to select the peer-reviewed box, so that you know your research studies are primary academic sources. For example:
- A future addictions counselor may select the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy.
- A future business professional may select ways of improving work morale.
- An early childhood development professional may select behavior modification techniques to improve classroom behavior.
2. After reviewing several studies, select one research study that most interests you.
- Be sure to email the Librarian if you need help with this. (The Librarian will likely need one business day to respond.)
- Click on the Cite link to bring up an APA reference for your article.
3. After reviewing the entire article, focus on the abstract and the introductory section for the main highlights of the research.
4. Create a presentation, using the Unit 8 Assignment Template (located in Course Documents), that is at least 10 slides long to present this information to future colleagues. Consider this presentation training for future colleagues on how your study relates to your career field. Your slides should address the following questions:
- Identify your career field and article you selected.
- Describe the highlights of the research study.
- Relate the research to your career field.
- Discuss principles of learning that you will utilize in your career (i.e., classical and operant conditioning, observational learning, reinforcements, punishments, and shaping).
Writing Requirements and Guidelines
Your Assignment should be at least 10 slides, not including the Title and Reference slides, and should include the following elements:
- Title slide: Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: At least 10 slides answering the questions provided in the Assignment directions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- Reference slide: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font
- Use APA Formatting and Citation style
- If you need assistance with APA style, please visit the Writing Center.
This Assignment assesses the following Course Outcomes:
PS124-4: Describe how the study of psychology is relevant to students’ career field.
PC 2.1: Achieve goals through planning and prioritization.
Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Explain the legal and ethical issues surrounding various controversial issues in healthcare.
- Discuss current issues in healthcare.
Course outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
HS101-5: Identify current topics in healthcare.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials Standard English.
Your Assignments in this course will take you through “A Day in the Life” of a healthcare professional. You will be given the opportunity to apply the concepts that you have learned throughout the course to a variety of situations that a healthcare professional might face.
In addition to the grading standards found in the Syllabus, assignments will also be graded on accuracy and application of course materials. This Assignment is a research paper and should meet the following requirements:
- The Assignment should have 2-3 pages of content.
- The Assignment should utilize APA style, including a title page, reference page, double spacing, and the use of Times New Roman Font Size 12.
- The Assignment should utilize Standard English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
For more information on writing a research page, please visit the Writing Center.
Choose a controversial issue in healthcare from the list below. Respond to the questions and upload to the appropriate Dropbox.
Each question should be answered in complete sentences, using correct sentence structure. Responses should be free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Stem Cell Research
Genetic Testing Organ Donation
Other choice, if approved by your instructor
Questions to answer:
- What are the main legal and ethical issues surrounding your chosen topic? The response to this question should be the bulk of your paper, about 2 pages long.
- What is one court case that involved your chosen topic? Summarize the court case, including the outcome. Be sure to include proper citation in APA style.
Write a 1,600- to 1,750-word paper that compares and contrasts the differing roles of government versus private security employees.
Include the following in your paper:
- A comparison of the legal, ethical, managerial, and economic issues of public and private agencies
- An evaluation of public and private agency daily practices
- A discussion of the future merging of government and private security agencies
Include a minimum of 4 references from texts, articles, journals, local police or criminal policy, and websites; only 2 may be websites.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Must Be Graduate Level Writing
After reading the article this week, and any other relevant research you locate, please discuss the following:
Please summarize, in your own words, a description of enterprise risk management. Why do you feel ERM is different from traditional risk management?
Please make your initial post and two response posts substantive. A substantive post will do at least TWO of the following:
- Ask an interesting, thoughtful question pertaining to the topic
- Answer a question (in detail) posted by another student or the instructor
- Provide extensive additional information on the topic
- Explain, define, or analyze the topic in detail
- Share an applicable personal experience
- Provide an outside source (for example, an article from the UC Library) that applies to the topic, along with additional information about the topic or the source (please cite properly in APA 7)
- Make an argument concerning the topic.
At least one scholarly source should be used in the initial discussion thread. Be sure to use information from your readings and other sources from the UC Library. Use proper citations and references in your post.
Needed 1-page work and two responses on others post…
CRJ 499: Undergraduate Capstone in Criminal Justice
Week 1 Assignment – Journal: Next Move
Reflect on your goals and your next move within the criminal justice system and identify at least one agency and position to which you are thinking of applying or a promotion within your current agency that you hope to receive.
*The Agency I want to apply for is Homeland Security/FEMA
Supervisory Emergency Management Specialist (Recovery)
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Federal Emergency Management Agency
The ideal candidate for this position has the ability to manage large, nationwide, complex disaster programs including partnering with agency stakeholders, developing and ensuring consistent application of policy guidance and standard operating procedures. This position starts at a salary of $142,701 (GS-15), with promotion potential to $170,800 (GS-15). Apply for this exciting opportunity with FEMA!
· Discuss your current skills and competencies and outline your strengths and weaknesses relevant to that position and agency.
· Outline the ways in which you can be better prepared to compete when applying for that position.
The Governor is concerned with the number of inmates who are being victimized by assaults, including sexual assaults and stabbings and beatings. You have recently been assigned to a state penitentiary to interview inmates who have been victimized and to determine why there is such an alarming increase in these assaults. You are tasked with evaluating the conditions of the penitentiary and the effectiveness of the corrections officer force, along with the conditions in which the inmates are living.
The Warden is also concerned and has asked you for any conditions that you may feel require correction. The Governor has promised appropriate budget increases to correct these issues.
Respond to the Warden on how you would proceed to correct one of the following conditions:
- Residential overcrowding
- Entire population attending meals at the same time
- Excessive aggression by the corrections staff
- All-inclusive yard time for the inmates when the entire population is together
- Handmade weapons being used in the assaults
- Locations in work areas that cannot be observed or supervised
- No counselling for victims of the assaults
- Weak responses to investigating the suspected offenders
The prosecutor is getting feedback from local law enforcement officers explaining that they are discouraged from making arrests in cases of domestic violence and child abuse. They claim that they have been neither making arrests in domestic violence situations nor arresting both parties when they go out on a call. It seems that abused women often go back to the abusers, and children who get removed from the homes where they have been abused often return after removal. These occurrences have been especially demoralizing to law enforcement.
One of your jobs in working as a Victims’ Witness Assistant is to help educate law enforcement on the nature and behaviors involved in domestic violence and child abuse. The prosecutor’s office has decided that you should present each of the following topics for the next training session:
Topic 1 Domestic Violence: Your goal is to educate law enforcement to use best practices in the investigation of domestic abuse cases. Include the following topics in your PowerPoint presentation of 5-10 slides with notes:
- How to approach a domestic violence situation when responding to an emergency call
- When the parties should be separated
- How to interview parties
- What information needs to be in the report and why
- How to best help a victim
- What laws protect victims, including the use of protection orders
- Why victims return to abusers
- Length of time it may take to stay away from their abusers
- The legal standard that is needed to make an arrest in a domestic violence case
- What evidence should be collected at the arrest
- Whether dual arrests are effective law enforcement
- How to assist domestic violence victims
- Reluctant victims
- Help for victims
Topic 2 Child Abuse: Your goal will be to educate law enforcement about the dynamics of abuse and neglect cases. Include the following topics:
- Signs of child abuse and categories (e.g., physical, sexual, and emotional)
- Difference between the terms abuse and neglect
- Legal description of neglect
- Use of guardian ad litem
- The legal standards that must be met in a child’s removal from the home
- Termination of parental rights
- Requirements of the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA)
- Role of court-appointed special advocates (CASA) in child abuse and neglect cases
- Role of Social Services in abuse and neglect cases
You command a regional crime scene unit and have recently hired three graduates from a Professional Certification Organization for Crime Scene Investigators. The three graduates’ specialties are firearms identification, blood spatter pattern analysis, and fingerprint comparison. You are fortunate because they have been working under their respective specialty supervisors for several years and have been involved in research and live case work.
They have never testified on their own as expert witnesses but now they have come to you and asked what the credentials are to become an expert witness in a case and who makes the decision that they are an expert witness for that trial.
They also want to know, once they are found to be an expert witness in a trial, does it mean they are automatically considered to be an expert for the same subject in the next trial that they must testify in?
You must answer them, and include the following:
- Name 3 qualifying conditions that they could submit for consideration of recognizing them as an expert witness in a trial.
- Advise them who will ultimately decide whether they are an expert witness for a trial.