Discussion: Evidence Base in Design
When politics and medical science intersect, there can be much debate. Sometimes anecdotes or hearsay are misused as evidence to support a particular point. Despite these and other challenges, however, evidence-based approaches are increasingly used to inform health policy decision-making regarding causes of disease, intervention strategies, and issues impacting society. One example is the introduction of childhood vaccinations and the use of evidence-based arguments surrounding their safety.
In this Discussion, you will identify a recently proposed health policy and share your analysis of the evidence in support of this policy.
- List three (3) strategies for active case finding
- Describe outbreak control measures
- Prepare a statement for media during an outbreak situation
- Identify critical components of an outbreak investigation report
- Complete each question in the case study. It is recommended to answer each question in sequential order since you are performing an outbreak investigation.
- You can use classroom or online resources to answer the questions, such as CDC or local health departments.
- You can answer the questions directly in the Word Document (attached to assignment). Please save your file as LastName_FirstName_PBHE426_Case Study 1.
- Please put your name in the document header.
- Submit your completed assignment in the Classroom Assignment – Case Study One.
- This assignment is to be completed individually. The assignment will have “group” or “team” activities. You need to complete all questions in the case study, but you can exclude the in-class portions, such as writing responses on flip-charts.
Reflect on the assigned readings for this module.
What challenges do medical facilities face when trying to become more culturally competent? What kinds of assumptions do providers sometimes make about people from other cultures? What factors may cause providers to relate to patients in a biased manner? What can healthcare organizations do to ensure cultural competence among their employees? Citations needed.
Responding to your classmates:
When responding to your classmates, evaluate their responses. Do you agree or disagree with their suggestions, and why? Citations needed.
Respond to the following prompts using research and your own personal experience.
- Think of an ethical issue that has occurred at your workplace or that you have witnessed in your nursing experience.
- Using research, identify two ethical principles or theories that are most pertinent to your place of work or the situation you witnessed.
- Discuss how these principles came into play and what role, if any, you played in the situation or what you observed in relation to these principles.
- For this post, you must show research in your writing using in-text citations and show your reference in 7th. ed. APA.
The purpose of this assignment is to synthesize and apply the knowledge you gained in class into a well-written research paper. For this assignment, you will conduct research and write a paper containing the two elements:
Part I: Choose one of the listed topics
- Implementing change on a nursing unit (Student must incorporate an example and a change theory)
- Leadership traits for successfully managing in the clinical arena.
- Quality improvement in the nursing unit or system
- Mentorship in nursing
- Preceptor programs for nursing leaders
- Solving incivility in the work place, How can a nurse manager help? (conflict resolution)
- Legal Issues within the nursing unit
- Promotion of ethical behaviors within the nursing unit (student must create a plan and implementation strategy)
- Nursing Unit Strategic Planning
- Compare and contrast the following new roles for the changing health care arena:
- Nurse Navigators, Clinical Nurse Leaders, and Leaders in Patient-Centered Care
Part II: Evaluate how the topic applies to 2 of the following course competencies.
- Integrate concepts related to leadership into the professional nursing role.
- Analyze the philosophy, goals, and organizational structure of a healthcare system in relationship to the delivery of quality healthcare.
- Compare selected theories of leadership, management, and organizations in relation to healthcare agencies.
- Identify how collaborative leadership styles might be utilized in various community agencies to enhance the role of the nurse leader.
- Examine change theory, change management, conflict resolution, and strategies to promote innovation.
- Explain principles of continuous quality improvement (CQI) and the process of quality planning, improvement, and control.
- Discuss the management process and its impact on the delivery of optimal healthcare.
- Analyze how accountability, advocacy, and collaboration augment the management of care.
- Describe the meaning of teamwork in respect to the health care team
- Identify the essential components of a business plan
- Analyze various organization structure/management theories as they relate to nursing practice
In addition to the assignment specifics above, your paper should:
- Be 3-4 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
- Source(s) should be integrated into the paragraphs. Use in-text citations pointing to evidence in the literature that supports your ideas.
- Incorporate a minimum of two (2) peer-reviewed sources into your paper.
- Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources.
- Include a title page and a reference page listing the sources you used. Be sure to plan enough time for proofreading and editing.
Attached are pictures of the rubric to follow. Thank you!
Choose a historical nurse leader of interest and write a 2-page paper using 7th. edition APA formatting. There is a template in the required format provided below for your convenience.
Step 1 Select and research a historical nurse leader who interests you. You may use a nurse leader presented in this lesson or from another source. In all professional papers, you will need a title page, an introduction paragraph, the body with research, a conclusion and a reference page. All format must be in 7th edition APA. For the body of your paper, address the following objectives and separate using distinct paragraph headers:
- Identify and describe the nurse leader you chose
- Provide a brief description of the historical time period
- Discuss the achievements of the nurse leader
- Provide a description of how this nurse affected the nursing profession
- Explain why this nurse leader was chosen for this project
Leadership and Managing
This week you reflected upon the difference between a “manager” and a “leader” and discussed this concept with your classmates and professor in the discussion board. In a written essay please answer the following questions:
- What are the differences between leaders and managers? What characteristics are similar and what are different?
- Provide a total of three examples. First, of someone who has great managerial skills. Second, another individual with great leadership skills. Third, another person with poor managerial skills. These can be made up individuals or examples you have seen without any identifying information. Discuss how the staff of each individual would be affected by the skills of the leader/manager.
- Complete the Emotional Intelligence Test Discuss your scores and what they mean. What did you learn about yourself as a leader? (Note that a 10 on the EI test means strong. On the score page, click on the blue “here” under “interpreting your GEIT scores, click here” for more information on each section and what it means. (my scores from the emotional intelligence test)
Self-Awareness – 4 Self-Management – 7 Social-Awareness – 8 Relationship Management- 5. interpretation of the my GEIT scores is uploaded.
Length: 1500 to 2000 words total (at least 500 words per question prompt)
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
What is the Christian concept of the imago Dei? How might it be important to health care, and why is it relevant?
According to your worldview, what value does a human person have? How does your position affect your stance on controversial bioethical issues, such as abortion, designer babies, and stem cell research?
Choose a topic related to health that has meaning to your personal health, interests, and well-being. This may be a disease, such as diabetes, or healthy fitness activity.
Conduct a database search comparing one of the following database directories with Google Scholar.
- CINAHL and Google Scholar
- PubMed and Google Scholar
Explain how you were able to narrow down the number of articles hits you had initially, and present within your post a summary of the credible article you chose as your resource. How do you know your article choice is credible? Which database do you prefer and why?
How will using a database search facilitate your:
- scholarly work;
- nursing work (evidence-based practice); and
- personal self-development?