C06I Business Ethics
Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the “Assignment Format” page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
Respond to the items below.
1. What is traditional utilitarianism? With traditional utilitarianism, how do you determine what the moral thing to do on any particular occasion might be? Include mention of the four (4) considerations to determine what the moral thing to do on any particular occasion might be.
2. Why is utilitarianism attractive to many? Discuss three (3) reasons.
3. What is the ecological ethic?
4. How does utilitarianism support the ecological ethic?
1. Mark is mentally incompetent and delights in signing documents. Henry persuades Mark to sign numerous promissory notes which he negotiates. Must Mark pay these notes if they have been held by holders in due course?
A. Mark may not pay these notes since no one could anticipate this happening.
B. Mark must pay these notes since duress isn’t involved.
C. Mark must pay these notes since there is a fraud in the inducement.
D. Mark doesn’t have to pay these notes since he has a real defen
2. Carl writes a check for $500, payable to Fred. Fred indorses it over to Sally in exchange for a television set. Sally deposits the check, only to discover that Carl stopped payment on the check. Which of the following statements is true?
A. The bank must pay $500 to Sally.
B. Carl must pay $500 to Sally.
C. Fred must pay $500 to Sally.
D. No one is obligated to pay anything to Sally.
3. Electronic _______ is a system in which funds are electronically transferred from a customer’s checking account, eliminating the need to process a paper check.
A. check conversion
B. fund transfer
C. check transfer
D. teller system
4. Personal defenses can be used against
A. a holder in due course of a negotiable instrument, but not a holder.
B. any party with whom the holder in due course has dealt.
C. a holder, but not a holder in due course of a negotiable instrument.
D. natural persons, but not corporations.
5. Local business activity carried on within state boundaries is known as
A. interstate commerce.
B. intrastate commerce.
C. local commerce.
D. public commerce.
6. Lulu orders 20 pairs of navy blue pants from Peter for $4,000, with delivery due no later than November 15. On November 15, Peter delivers 20 navy dresses. Lulu may
A. sue for specific performance.
B. keep the goods and seek adjustment.
C. sue for breach.
D. cover the sale.
7. Jake bought a motorcycle from his neighbor Randy. Randy had owned the motorcycle for his personal use for about two years. The day after the purchase, Jake is seriously injured after the motorcycle suddenly veers off of the highway due to a manufacturing defect. Jake brings a strict liability action against Randy. Jake will most likely lose because the
A. defendant must normally be engaged in the business of selling or otherwise distributing motorcycles.
B. motorcycle can’t have been substantially changed from the time the product was sold to the time of the injury.
C. plaintiff must incur physical harm by use of the motorcycle.
D. product must be in a defective condition when the defendant sells it.
8. Zeke pulls out a knife and tells Bob to write him a check for $500. Bob does so. Zeke takes the check to his bank, properly endorses it, and receives $500 in cash. Bob stops payment on the check. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Bob must pay the check because the bank is a holder in due course.
B. Bob must pay the check because Zeke was a holder in due course.
C. Bob need not pay the check because it was obtained illegally.
D. Bob need not pay the check because the bank is a holder, not a holder in due course.
9. Which of the following statements is true of the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rules?
A. A telemarketer is allowed to call a consumer without requiring the consumer’s consent.
B. Calling times are restricted to anytime during business days and holiday weekends.
C. Telemarketers are excused from disclosing the name of the seller, and what they’re selling before they make their pitch.
D. Telemarketers must state the total cost of the products or services offered and that the sale is final or nonrefundable.
10. Dennis contracts with Racketware, Inc., a company in France, to purchase 5,000 tennis rackets. The rackets will be shipped by airplane to a warehouse in New Jersey. Dennis and Racketware enter into a contract on November 1, and the contract identified the rackets being purchased. The airplane containing the rackets leaves France on November 2. The documents necessary to claim the rackets are received by Dennis in the mail on November 3. Dennis claimed the goods at the warehouse on November 4. Dennis acquired an insurable interest in the rackets on what date?
A. November 3
B. November 1
C. November 2
D. November 4
11. If a person obtains property as a result of another’s fraud, misrepresentation, mutual mistake, undue influence, or duress, the person is said to hold only
A. voidable rights.
B. contract rights.
C. valid rights.
D. insured rights.
12. Tom agrees to sell 500 pairs of pants to Sally for $5,000. Tom delivers the pants. Sally hands Tom a check. Tom demands cash and refuses to accept the check. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Sally will be in breach if she doesn’t immediately give Tom $5,000 in cash.
B. Sally is in breach because Tom is permitted to demand cash.
C. Sally must pay cash but is entitled to a reasonable time to come up with the cash.
D. Tom is in breach as the UCC gives him no right to demand cash.
13. To accept a draft, the drawee
A. need only sign the draft across the face of the instrument.
B. needs to write “accepted” behind the instrument and sign the bank’s record.
C. needs to write “accepted” on a separate piece of paper.
D. need only sign on a separate piece of paper affixed to the draft.
14. If a drawee refuses to pay the instrument, it is said to be
15. Which of the following is true of destination contracts?
A. Both title and risk of loss pass to the buyer when goods are given to the carrier.
B. It requires a seller to turn the goods over to a carrier for delivery to the buyer.
C. The seller bears no responsibility for seeing that the goods reach their destination.
D. Title and risk of loss pass to the buyer, once the seller tenders goods at a place as per the contract.
16. A check for which the issuing financial institution is both the drawer and the drawee is called a _______.
A. teller’s check
B. certified check
C. bank draft
D. traveler’s check
17. Under the doctrine of _______, the principal consideration is the safety of a product, not the conduct of the manufacturer or supplier of the goods.
A. strict liability
B. public interest
C. public policy
18. Tom falsely tells Harold that the car Tom is selling has only 30,000 miles on it. In fact, Tom has turned back the odometer and the true mileage is 150,000. Harold purchases the car by giving Tom a check for $3,000. Tom endorses the check to Sally in exchange for a plasma TV. Harold discovers the fraud and stops payment on the check, so it’s dishonored when Sally deposits it in her bank account. Sally sues Harold to enforce payment of the check. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Harold can’t successfully assert the defense of fraud in the inducement to avoid paying $3,000 to Sally.
B. Harold must pay Sally, but only to the extent of the value of the plasma TV that Tom bought from Sally.
C. Harold can successfully assert the defense of fraud in the inducement to avoid paying $3,000 to Sally.
D. Harold has a real defense that can be asserted against Sally.
19. Congress passed the _______ which requires lenders to disclose the finance charge and the annual percentage rate.
A. Fair Credit Reporting Act
B. Equal Credit Opportunity Act
C. Truth-in-Lending Act
D. Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
20. Even though Spice gives her four-year-old car to Homeless Helpers Charity, she
A. need not provide an odometer statement, since the car is less than 15 years old.
B. must set the odometer to zero before resale.
C. must provide an odometer statement.
D. need not provide an odometer statement.
Assume for this assignment that you are being highly considered for a director-level HR management position for a best-in-class national retailer. You are in the final phase of the interview process and must respond to the interview panel regarding specific questions and scenarios that will help them determine if you are a good fit for the new role. The company’s culture is centered on the effective development of strategy, plans, and selection criteria aimed at building and sustaining a competitive and profitable organization. It will be extremely important that you respond with a strategic mindset in order to convince the organization you are able to help them ensure the execution of the business strategy.
Write a six- to seven-page paper in which you do the following:
- Analyze different types of strategies (cost leadership, differentiation, and focus or niche) and select which one you would deem more appropriate for an “efficiency-minded” retail organization and explain your rationale. How would the selected strategy ultimately affect how HR does its job?
- Examine the four approaches to job design or redesign and provide an example (not a definition) of each. Then, make a case to the interviewing panel on the importance of effective job design applications in supporting the overall strategic goals of the organization.
- Consider challenges and constraints associated with recruiting workers and identify and discuss at least two issues. What advice would you give to ease your selected issues? Be specific.
- List and describe 2–3 candidate selection process ideas that might add value and overall effectiveness to the process.
- Example: 5 Tips for Designing an Effective Employee Selection System.
- Also, what problems should HR and management teams avoid during the selection process?
- Use at least four quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: You may only use the resources listed in the Course Guide and those that are specifically provided by the professor.
I need a 5 pg essay on the following-
The most effective impact of investment in health care will come from effective management and policy. From this position, discuss the following:
-Discuss the evolution of the U.S. health care system and how both the development of policy and the management requirements have been influenced by traditions and values.
-Discuss the influence of the changing needs of the labor force due to increased technology, the aging of America, and various economic factors (including aging workforce, cost of turnover, cost of education and training, and so forth) with a focus on health care administration.
-Discuss the 3 approaches to management and policy (systems, critical, and public interest) as they relate to the management perspective in health care.
Select a real or hypothetical health care organization, and address the following:
Identify the market sector your organization falls into (mass market or niche services). How does the population health approach to health care rather than the curative approach affect service delivery and management in your organization?
Assess common health care leadership issues (e.g., organizational climate, teamwork, coaching, and so on) and their impact on stakeholders.
Discuss the ethical and legal issues that may be found in the health care organization of your choice.
Provide at least 3 suggestions to minimize negative outcomes and maximize the positive outcomes of leadership intervention in areas such as staffing, financing, competition, regulations, and public image.
Discussion 1: Define the terms culture, ethnocentrism, and prejudice, and describe their relationship to one another. Then, select one case study from Chapter 16 in Leadership: Theory and Practice, based on its relevance to your professional or personal interests, and briefly discuss how you see these concepts in action in the case. How would you coach leadership of the organization in the case to be more effective and supportive of diverse people?
Discussion 2: Define and describe the principles of ethical leadership. Which two of the five principles covered in Chapter 16 do you think are the most important, and why? Discuss this in the context of a specific example, either from your own professional experience, or from one of the case studies in Chapter 13 of the course textbook.
- You have been hired by a large hospitality firm (e.g., Marriott International, Hilton, Sheraton, Best Western, etc.) to be the project manager of the firm’s HQ office relocation project. You have been asked to speak to the HQ HR staff about the project. Many of the staff have very little understanding of project management. Also, they are fearful that this project will end up being a failure since other projects have failed at the firm. Explain to them the key elements of project management by comparing it to something they do understand well – human resources management (HRM). Be sure that your explanation addresses their fears of project management.
Unit 3 Individual Project 5-6 pages requirement
please cover all requirements for the assignment.
Write a research paper that discusses the history of innovation. The paper should cover the following topics:
- Provide a brief overview of the history of innovation.
- Who is responsible for innovation within the organization?
- What leadership style or styles better foster a culture of leadership, and why?
EMPLOYEES EDUCATION PAYMENT RESEARCH OUTLINE
Employees Education Payment Research outline
Research question: Should a company pay for its employees’ education?
Abstract: brief overview of the issue under research
Research aim: to determine whether or not a company should take the initiative to educate its employees through payment of fees needed to foster education. The following sections shall be captured in the research
· Background information
· Main points to be discussed brief overview
· Research question
· Thesis statement
· Questionnaires and interviews
· Focus group
· Case studies
Conclusion and recommendations
In the Christ & Diwan (2008) article, the authors list seven domains that social workers should address in order to fully assess an older client’s needs. Each domain is considered equally important. This comprehensive evaluation fits well with the social work perspective that it is important to not only address the internal concerns of clients but also their environment. Making decisions for older adults without their input occurs often. In society people sometimes treat their elders like children—making decisions for them based on what they think is best rather than from the client’s perspective. While at times this may be well intentioned, the potential for infantilism and, in turn, compromised self-determination, occurs.
For this Discussion, review the program case study for the Petrakis family. You will focus not on Helen, but on her mother-in-law, Magda. What decisions were made about Magda’s treatment without a formal assessment and/or her input? Consider how Christ & Diwan’s (2008) seven domains relate to Magda’s case. Complete an assessment for Magda and identify the choices that were made without her feedback.
The Petrakis Family (pp. 20–22)
Post a summary of your assessment of Magda’s situation that addresses the seven domains. Fill in the gaps in content as necessary. Describe ways you would have included Magda in the original assessment and treatment plan. Include questions you would have asked Magda and her professional support system (doctors, nurses, etc.) to gain further insight into the situation.
Support your posts with specific references to the Learning Resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.